2.14.2010

Bleach Stencil Reverse Applique

  I thought I'd make one more entry for the LBB/Dharma Trading Challenge. For this Valentines shirt I thought I'd try out a new technique. Bleach stenciling! I was pretty skeptical about the whole process, but pleasantly surprised by the outcome. If you want to try this super simple technique follow me.
What you need...
  • Freezer paper
  • Xacto knife
  • Spray bottle
  • Bleach
  • Fabric to be stenciled
Print or draw design on paper side of freezer paper. I have 8 1/2 x 11" inkjet freezer paper that I run through my printer.  Cut out design with Xacto knife. Press shiny side of paper onto fabric to be stencilied.
Fill spray bottle with about a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water. I didn't try pure bleach. Maybe this would have made the bleaching go faster. I did have to wait quite a while before my fabric got to the color I wanted. I sprayed the paper until it was pretty wet. I think I let the bleach sit on there for about 20 minutes. When I started the process I thought it would all happen in minutes.

On a side note... don't wear your all time favorite, best fitting cargo pants while playing with bleach.
Once the fabric is lightened peel off the freezer paper and rinse the bleach from the fabric with cold water and a little soap. I read somewhere online that if some bleach stays on the fabric and dries the crystals will still be "active" and can transfer to other fabric. It was recommended to put the fabric in the dryer to remove these dried crystals. 
 Here's my little piece of finished fabric! The image turned out much crisper than I imagined. I thought the bleach would seep under the stencil and be very blurry (which I was ok with too). 

Next is the reverse applique. I've never done this before and I was too lazy to look up a "how to" from my good friend Google, so if my technique seems backward it probably is. I cut out a heart template and traced it where I wanted the applique.
Then turn the shirt inside out and pin the applique fabric with right side to the inside of shirt.
Turn shirt right side out and top stitch (I used zig-zag) around template.
 
 Cut out image. You're done!
 For the shirt pattern I used Lil Blue Boo Sienna Dress pattern which I've been making a ton of lately. All three kids have them!



4 comments:

Sandra said...

that turned out super cute! And I hear you on the bleach mishap--just got some on a beloved LL Bean hoodie, grrrrr.

Sascha said...

I never learn. I think I've ruined more garments than I've created with bleach and paint!

Tonya said...

I love this shirt! Too cute!

lessa said...

Bravo! this is superb! I will definitely try this project for some cute jersey dresses!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...