6.08.2010

This charming little bird has made a nest in the orchids outside my front door. You read that correctly... directly outside the front door to a building that houses three children, a dog and a cat! Can you say Grand Central Station? The funny thing is that just around the corner is our dining room table where my computer sits and as I type this I can hear the pitiful little screeching of her baby(ies?) ALL.DAY.LONG. It's cute for the first 15 seconds or so. 

This mommy bird is one busy lady. She brings her little flock bugs about every 15 minutes from sun-up to sundown.  When I took the above photo she had just come out of the flower pot. I tried to catch her with a worm in her mouth but she's a fast lady. I actually don't blame her for her location choice. Those cymbidium are amazing. This has been a stellar year for us. I have five pots around the front of the house filled with orchids and they are exploding with blooms. I barely water them and I certainly don't fertilize (I'm lazy that way). I actually posted about these orchids earlier this year.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Such beautiful photos!

Tece said...

I think your little bird momma is a Bewick's Wren. How nice she chose your house to have her babies....

Sascha said...

Oh! I never thought to ask my readers about the kind of bird she is. Thank you!

Millie said...

Not a bird I know.... not from 'round here! But I would have guessed it was a wren. Very sweet...how lovely for the kids to have them at their house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...