5.25.2010

Oliver +S Sailboat Pant : Round 2

I made another pair of the Oliver + S Sailboat Pants with some minor alterations.
I used a very soft cotton stripe that looks a little like an old fashioned ticking. It's just something I've had in my stash. I used four different buttons (kinda cute I think). I raised the pattern up at the waistline 3/4". I also added a little more fabric to the "wedge" in the crotch area. It worked! He's not flashing his cloth diaper at us anymore.
I still need to tweak it a bit more. Maybe another 1/4" higher at the waistline and...
I definitely need to make the elastic a bit longer. That looks painful. I made it smaller than the pattern calls for because my last attempt at this pant had a large waist, but I overdid it. So now I need to do my least favorite thing...unpicking! If they weren't such cute pants I wouldn't bother, but I want him to be able to wear these.

I may try another pair of these in this size but I think they will be much cuter on about a two year old so I may put the pattern away until then.

6 comments:

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

It worked! I think the pattern is cute on him.

madebymum said...

I think you did a fab job they look so cute. Love the fabric.

Millie said...

Great trousers....I love the fabric. I have never used Oliver+S patterns, but I have been very tempted recently.

Rae said...

ooh very cute!

Anna said...

Hello, I recently found your blog, while searching for Oliver+S sailboat pants comments. I ran into the same back-too-short issue as you did. Although my 2 year old is out of diapers, the back waistline seems a bit shorter than one would want. So the question is, how did you alter the pattern to fit better? I am thinking of adding an inch or so at the back crotch area, but I am not sure if that would do it.

Sascha said...

Anna,

Your Blogger profile is blocked so I need to respond here in my comments section.

I added about 3/4" to the crotch area, but I'm not good at translating my ideas to working pattern drafting so I'm not sure if what I did made a difference. What did make a difference was adding 3/4" to the top of the front piece, back piece and the front flap facing (was that all the pieces?). Anyhoo, I essentially added height to the pant. I'll try them again and next time try to photograph a few of the changes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...