10.27.2012

Roar



Last year I pinned a costume that I just had to try and recreate. I love this version and I see that she has one for sale this year. $225... I totally know why. It is a lot of work. 

A. Lot. Of. Work.


Max from Where the Wild Things Are




I used McCall's Costumes pattern M6181 with minimal alterations. I'm not used to sewing with big four pattern companies and I was a bit nervous because I've heard some negative things about the sewing instructions and fit. This pattern was really easy to follow and the fit is great. I made a size four but I wish I had made a size three (Vinny is an average sized 3 year old). I was just being cautious. 


I spent the better part of this year hunting down the right fabric online. The sherpa was pretty hard for me to find. The fur isn't exactly what I wanted but close enough. I'm pretty sure this is my one and only time I will sew with either of these fabrics. Not fun.

The whiskers are fake leather jewelry cord. I just knotted one end and poked it through the fabric and hand stitched on place. Although I didn't get a good picture of them they are one of my favorite details. 

I'm pretty sure just about no one will know what he is but I don't care because I love it! I'm furiously finishing up Luca's costume. She is going as Laura Ingalls Wilder and I'm pretty sure there will be a large portion of the community that has no idea who she is either. Rocco is going as Einstein... let's see who can figure that one out. Actually he's wearing a crazy white wig a lab coat and carrying a clipboard with E=mc2 printed out so let's hope our community can figure that out. If not we are hopeless.

13 comments:

Gabby @ Oh Boy, Cato! said...

I knew right away who he was! The crown is the real giveaway and it rocks! He looks precious! And the whiskers are wonderful!

Sam Adams said...

This costume was so obvious just from your istagram post! Everyone will know, is he going to be to hot?

Tina said...

I LOVE IT!

And I knew at the first glance it was Max form the wild things.
Soooooooo adaroble!

I hope I will forget about it until next year so I don't even thing about making one...

Greetings,
Tina

Sascha said...

Sam Adama, I am so stressed that he's going to burst into flames! My husband is convinced he'll be trick or treating in underwear because he'll strip down after one block!

Laura said...

This is incredible. I made this costume last year but I love your version way more. The fabrics you've chosen are perfect and I love his crown. Gorgeous photos too, I hope it's cool enough for him to wear it.

Morgan said...

I love it, looks amazing! I have a little Max and so so want to dress him like this...he's not yet 2 though so it may have to wait a year. Or perhaps I should start sewing now!

Carolyn said...

Okay, I really need to stop bitching about the measly little dress that I had to make. It is NOTHING compared to this costume! This is amazing (and furry :)

Unknown said...

Amazeballs! Seriously, this is so great! And he looks so cute in it!

gail said...

This really is amazing. I would be soooo happy with myself if I were you! Also, you'll be glad you made the size 4 when it fits again next Halloween!

bybido said...

Love it! My oldest was Max for Halloween 8 years ago, but I didn't know how to sew at the time, so we just put together an outfit (and made giant paper mache heads so my husband and I could be monsters from the book).

But this is awesome! So perfect!

robin said...

Wow, you outdid yourself! It's perfect. I love those buttons you chose, they're awesome! And people will totally recognize the character- it's spot on. Happy Halloween!

kristin said...

I clicked over from Carolyn's and realized I totally forgot to comment when I saw this before - IT'S AMAZING. You totally nailed Max. I super love that you did the gold crown and fur part too...just perfect. Love the wooden buttons too. BRAVO!!!

ari said...

love it! so perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...