12.14.2010

Hallmark Noah's Ark Ornaments - Doh!



I can honestly say I have no idea how my collection of Hallmark Noah's Ark ornaments started. Every year* Hallmark releases a new ark ornament that is dated (like all their ornaments I guess) and sometimes created by an artist of some note. I didn't start collecting them from the beginning so at one point I started buying the years that I was missing from Ebay. I think 1988 was the first year they released an ark. Now here is where the "doh" comes in...

I have been searching high and low for many years for a few gaps in my collection only to recently find this website which kindly let's me know that there was not an ornament produced for the years *1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, and 2002. What the Fruit? Cake. So now I'm expanding my collection to be any Noah's Ark ornaments, not just Hallmark's version.

I used to put them on our regular Christmas tree, but this year we downsized our tree quite significantly (I think I used to go overboard on the size). The tree was so crammed full of ornaments you couldn't even see my little collection. So I did something I never thought I'd do. I bought a small fake tree to house my collection. And you know what? I love it.



The kids loved this idea and I even let them decorate the little tree. It turned out very similar to the "big" tree which means there are clumps of ornaments hanging together. Next year I'll make a snazzy mini tree skirt.

I'd also like to buy this Noah's Ark to put on the table beside the tree. It's seriously not my usual taste in decor or anything for that matter but it really goes with the overall look of the Hallmark collection and I totally love it. 

p.s. the idea of a fake tree is kinda growing on me especially since it was 72 degrees all last week and our poor tree, which is parked by a window, is already dropping lots of needles.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...